• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

CPC Needing help please!

dianadawn

I have watched the Blitz videos a few times now and done the practice exams and still strugling to the point of giving up. Does anyone reccomend Carol Bucks books? And if so which one? Thanks

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I used 2012 Step-by-Step Medical Coding by Carol. J. Buck which at the time was the text of the CCO Physician Based Course which I completed. I still refer to it occasionally, so it is still helpful.

It is important to realize that the Blitz videos are meant for review and not in place of a medical coding course. There is a lot of information to learn to be a medical coder, so one cannot expect to learn it w/o a fair amount of study to learn all the Guidelines, conventions, terminology, etc., etc. All that takes time, and there were days I wondered who in the world could possibly learn it! It seemed overwhelming. Eventually, when I had enough study under my belt, I saw that it was possible to master it , at least well enough to pass the exam. So keep the faith if you truly want to be a medical coder.

To the others reading this post, don't hesitate to recommend the books you found most helpful...

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Also know that the Step-by-Step book comes out every year, so get the latest version, if you decide to get it. Also, to get more practice get the Step-by-Step Workbook, but that should only be used in conjunction with the textbook.

susan sayers

trying to bloom in life 2.0
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Hi Ruth...Got the step by step text and work books...while I like them,the fact that they don't have chapter review answers in the book or on line for independent study students is driving me crazy!!!!Yes I know I should just do the odd questions in workbook and do the practice tests(both CCO & AAPC)but it still drives me crazy...Think anyone could hook a newbie up with answers...Thanks Sue

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
I am planning to get an update of the Step by Step text and workbook since it has been a couple of years. I certainly could use the practice now that I am studying for my next certification--either a CCS or a CCS-P. I am also using AHIMA's Clinical Coding Workout with Answers (the answers are online and not in the book) and Faye Brown's ICD-9 Coding Handbook 2012 with answers.

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
the fact that they don't have chapter review answers in the book or on line for independent study students is driving me crazy!!!!
Sorry, didn't think of that! In 2012 Step-by-Step, the answers to the textbook exercises are in Appendix B, at least. Hopefully that is the case for your edition. If you do all those, and the odd ones in the workbook, that is still a lot of practice that you can check yourself on. So take heart... even with the missing Chapter Review answers, I really think you should be well prepared if you are also doing the Blitz, studying the Guidelines, and doing practice exams.